Spent mushroom compost
This is a recycled by-product of the mushroom growing industry in Sussex, it contains a blend of well-rotted straw and animal manure.
Spent Mushroom Compost is a perfect soil improver and mulch for people with acid soils as it is alkaline in nature and will:
- Act as a slow-release fertilizer, supplying the main nutrients that a plant needs over a long period of time.
- Helps water and nutrient retention because of its porous, spongy nature.
- Ensures sufficient aeration on soil
- Provides good drainage
- Helps prevent wind and water erosion
- Supports a wide range of soil bacteria, including those that produce natural antibodies to fight against plant disease.
- Moderates soil temperatures.
- Helps to form aggregates by the action of soil microorganisms that release sticky secretions to hold soil particles together.
- Help raise your PH levels from acid to more neutral.
Mushroom compost is perfect for brassicas as it ensures they are less likely to be infected with clubroot.
Please note that this product is not suitable for lime-hating/ ericaceous plants such as camellias, azaleas, rhododendrons, and heathers as is alkaline in nature. We would also not recommend putting on neutral or alkaline soils as it could have a detrimental effect on soil health. If this is you then you would be better off with our soil-improving compost.
Mushroom Compost Quantity calculator
How many 1m3 bulk bags of Mushroom Compost do I need?